Category: Healthy meal plans
Healthy Lunch Ideas For School Or Work
Coming up with healthy lunch ideas can be a daunting task. It’s hard to find new and exciting things to pack for your family’s lunch that are actually healthy.
Remember to have a balance of protein, fat and carbohydrates whenever you pack a lunch to ensure your loved ones are full and alert all afternoon. Try to avoid junk food like chips, candy and soda that might cause a 3pm nap!!
Here are a few easy and healthy lunch ideas for school or for work:
- Healthy PB&J; (whole grain bread, natural peanut butter, and sliced strawberries), applesauce, and reduced fat string cheese
- Tortilla Wraps- whole grain tortillas filled with veggies, sliced turkey or chicken and natural cheese rolled and cut in half
- Chicken noodle soup, whole grain crackers, and fresh berries
- Turkey sandwich on whole grain bread, carrot and celery sticks with reduced-fat ranch dressing for dipping
- Whole wheat pasta salad (make your own with whole grain pasta, peppers, olives, cubed chicken breast, balsamic vinegar and olive oil)
- Low-fat chili in a thermos with whole grain crackers and string cheese (chili can be cooking overnight in the crock pot and ready for the thermos in the morning!)
- Whole grain spaghetti and turkey meatballs in a thermos with a garden salad and low-fat dressing
- Fresh berries (or other seasonal fruit) with low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese and homemade “trail mix” – whole wheat pretzels, raisins, almonds, cheerios, etc or a high fiber granola bar (like Fiber One)
- Whole grain english muffin with pizza sauce and shredded cheese (toasted) and fruit
- Ants On A Log (celery stick with natural peanut butter and raisins), and a Yogurt Parfait (layer low-fat granola, vanilla yogurt and berries ending with granola on top)
- Cranberry-Nut Turkey Roll Ups Spread Flatout bread with 1 tablespoon whole-berry cranberry sauce and 1 teaspoon fat-free mayonnaise. Top with 3 ounces thickly sliced deli turkey breast, 1 leaf romaine lettuce, and 1 teaspoon chopped pecans. Roll up and serve.
- hummus and veggies in a flat out wrap
Remember, have some fun with lunch. Pack a colorful napkin leftover from a party or write a love note. Lunch is an important time to refuel the body and the spirit to help finish the day well!
Fast and Healthy Breakfast Ideas To Keep You Focused And Alert All Morning Long!
We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But, what are some healthy breakfast ideas that are also quick and easy? After all, who has time to fix a complete meal each morning before the kids catch the school bus and your husband runs out the door?
Here are a few tips on how to choose a healthy breakfast:
1. Breakfast should include at least 5 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein
2. Avoid refined carbohydrates that have little to no nutritional value like high sugar cereals or bagels and muffins made with large amounts of sugar and/or white flour.
Quick and Healthy Breakfast Ideas:
1. Fiber One (or other high fiber granola bar) and a glass of skim milk
2. Natural Peanut Butter on a whole wheat bagel (made with at least 50% whole grain flour), sliced fruit and a glass of skim milk
3. Whole Grain English Muffin or Whole Grain Bagel with 4 egg whites (spray coffee cup with non-stick cooking spray and add egg whites. Cover and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Fits perfectly on the muffin or bagel) and reduced fat shredded natural cheese on top
4. Same as above, but make into a burrito by using a whole grain tortilla and adding a few fresh veggies like tomato and green pepper
5. Instant oatmeal topped with fresh berries or raisins and skim milk
Here are a few breakfast items to avoid:
1. Toaster Pastries
3. Coffee Cake
4. Hash Browns or Fried Potatoes
5. Croissants, muffins, bagels made from sugar and white flour
When Eating Out…
Here are a few healthy breakfast ideas when eating out:
1. Buy the egg and cheese sandwich or burrito minus the meat
2. Order fresh fruit and yogurt. (Often it is on the children’s menu)
3. Starbucks now even has oatmeal!!
A healthy breakfast is possible no matter if you are eating at home or on the go. Just remember, ALWAYS EAT BREAKFAST! It will help jumpstart your metabolism and keep you from overeating the rest of the day!