Month: April 2018
Healthy Grocery List On A Budget
Want a healthy grocery list without breaking the bank? Start here! Find great buys on natural, organic and other healthy foods at great prices each week.
Here are a few quick tips on saving money:
1. COUPONING-The basic principle is this: a grocery item usually goes on sale once every 6-8 weeks. At that time it is at it’s LOWEST price. This is when you want to buy enough to last you until it goes on sale again. Add any coupons to this and you get the lowest price possible!
EXAMPLE: Cascadian Farms cereal is usually around $3.00 a box. Stores run sales every six to eight weeks and mark it down to around $2.00 a box. Use coupons on top of the sale price and get it for around $1.00 a box!!! Buy 6 boxes to last you until it goes on sale again.
2. WHERE DO I GET THE COUPONS? Sign-up for home mailers, look for online coupons, buy the Sunday newspaper, grab grocery store flyers, pull coupons from the tearpads on the shelves and purchase magazines like ALL YOU. All of these are great coupon resources.
3. Buy produce when it is on sale. Wash it and freeze it for later. The fruit isn’t great raw once it has been frozen. But, it is great to use in smoothies, oatmeal or as a frozen treat in the summer. Vegetables can be steamed or grilled, used in soup or sauces and tastes great!
4. Plan your meals around what produce and meat is on sale that week. That way you can have the most afforable meal possible.
5. Look for in store sales and manager’s specials and be sure to bring your coupon planner with you in case you find an unadvertised deal. As long as the expiration date hasn’t passed, the food is still good. I find great deals on organics all the time! I always buy as much as they have on the shelf.
BONUS TIP: Never go to the store hungry or with your children. Both are easily tempted!
Not sure what healthy foods you should be buying? Check out the healthy grocery shopping tips on a budget and get tips on everything from what produce should be purchased organically to what type of bread to buy!