We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But, what are some healthy breakfast ideas that are also quick and easy? After all, who has time to fix a complete meal each morning before the kids catch the school bus and your husband runs out the door?
Here are a few tips on how to choose a healthy breakfast:
1. Breakfast should include at least 5 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein
2. Avoid refined carbohydrates that have little to no nutritional value like high sugar cereals or bagels and muffins made with large amounts of sugar and/or white flour.
1. Fiber One (or other high fiber granola bar) and a glass of skim milk
2. Natural Peanut Butter on a whole wheat bagel (made with at least 50% whole grain flour), sliced fruit and a glass of skim milk
3. Whole Grain English Muffin or Whole Grain Bagel with 4 egg whites (spray coffee cup with non-stick cooking spray and add egg whites. Cover and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Fits perfectly on the muffin or bagel) and reduced fat shredded natural cheese on top
4. Same as above, but make into a burrito by using a whole grain tortilla and adding a few fresh veggies like tomato and green pepper
5. Instant oatmeal topped with fresh berries or raisins and skim milk
Here are a few breakfast items to avoid:
1. Toaster Pastries
3. Coffee Cake
4. Hash Browns or Fried Potatoes
5. Croissants, muffins, bagels made from sugar and white flour
Here are a few healthy breakfast ideas when eating out:
1. Buy the egg and cheese sandwich or burrito minus the meat
2. Order fresh fruit and yogurt. (Often it is on the children’s menu)
3. Starbucks now even has oatmeal!!
A healthy breakfast is possible no matter if you are eating at home or on the go. Just remember, ALWAYS EAT BREAKFAST! It will help jumpstart your metabolism and keep you from overeating the rest of the day!